Sunday, February 6, 2011

Breaking Up

It’s over.

We had a good run you and I. But it’s really over this time.  I deserve better.

When I was younger, it was different.   But I’ve changed.  I’ve grown up.

I’m not that same person.  I can’t allow you to consume me anymore.  Besides, lately your behavior has been a bit erratic . 

Moving in and taking advantage of me is not my idea of a healthy relationship. You ran up my power bill and have yet to pay me back.  You left my car a mess and didn’t lift a finger to clean it.

I’ve tried reasoning with you.  But it’s like talking to a brick wall.  You never listen to me.

And I’ve never said anything before, but, seriously?  You don’t think I know while I’m here at home, you’re out making the rounds all over the country. 

Well I got someone else too.  The past couple of days you’ve been away, we’ve been getting acquainted.  Or should I say, Reacquainted?

It’s been going on for a while.  Several years.  And at the expense of hurting your ego, I have to admit, sometimes when we get together . . . WOW!  Fireworks!

They even bring me flowers!  All these years and you have never brought me a single flower.

You  don’t have to pack up and leave right away, (as if I could make you anyway!).   I’m sure before all is said and done, you’ll be all big and bad and leave yet another mess for me to deal with. 

Fine.  Go for it.  I’m prepared for whatever you have to dish out.

However, let’s not make this awkward. I know you’ll be in town every year with work.  If I’m still in town when you visit, I’ll treat you with the utmost respect.  

And though it’s none of your business,  I imagine you’re just dying to know your replacement.   Unlike you, MY affairs don’t make the news.

But by June 21st, I’m gonna need you and your stuff out of here so they have plenty of room to move in!    

It’s someone you know. 

It’s your cousin. 

Summer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment