Monday, January 17, 2011

Best Laid Plans

It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day,  so I took a personal day.  I intentionally made no plans for anything except creating. I got up this morning and sent a cutesy invite to my buddy, Buffy, in Maggie Valley:

Android Invitation

Around 10:00am she arrived, paints and supplies in hand.  We established work zones to spread out our supplies.  The tv was off.  And zero distractions beyond our conversations, snack breaks and lunch.
It was fantastic!  I finally finished the watercolor I have been working on since early Fall, plotted another piece, learned a few more things about photography I didn't know, and just had the most stimulating and creatively productive day in months!

Like hell I did!

I hadn't heard from Buffy after my morning coffee so I texted.  Then I called.  Then I called again.  And just to be on the safe side, a couple more texts and calls were made.  

Meanwhile, there's breakfast, 'Today Show',  laundry, 'Regis & Kelly', lunch plans, kitchen duty, more laundry, email, . . . And in mid-text to confirm lunch with another friend, I heard the following three words uttered from my television:   "Best", "Worst", "Dressed"!

It's one sure way to get my attention, and waste time ripping apart or praising the outfits of Hollywood hotshots who couldn't give two blinks about me and my opinion.

Soon thereafter, Buffy called.  (Duh, after all my calls,  I'm guaranteed a return phone call, a return text, or a restraining order!) I was able to at least multi-task with laundry.  

Then there was lunch with a buddy.  And then, finally, I was able to sit down to work on some photos.  

NOT!

There were issues with the software.  I spent an hour trying to figure it out on my own.  Finally, I broke down and called Apple.  (By the way, Apple's customer service rocks Rocks ROCKS!)

And then, finally, and truly, I was able to edit some pics, and do a little creating.  That was around 4:13pm.  My invite to Buffy was before 9:00am!  

Well, life doesn't care about anyone's plans.  It's nothing personal.  Life just happens.  And if I've made plans and life happens to get in the way, by sheer default, life will absolutely and positively always win.  

I still got to create. The tv was and still is off.  That's rare for this stimulus junkie - and even rarer to  DELIBERATELY shut down entertainment.

Speaking of life,  I got a meeting in Black Mountain to dash to with a bunch of fellow 'creators'.  And when we all get together . . . well it's practically a television drama in and of itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment